Monday, January 25, 2010

The Lead Shoes Response

As I watched this film, I sort of got a little bit of a 'Momento' vibe about it. Whether or not the events were playing out in reverse order, that is how I came to view the film, and to me it seemed that the old school scuba suit guy had died, and that is why the woman was so freaked out about everything in the beginning. However, I can see how it could be read that in the end, all of the woman's work dragging the man around actually saves his life. Either one of those, I have no idea which one (if any) might be right.

Sidney certainly follows along the American lines of having the film rooted more in one person's experience -- that of the woman -- instead of the European route of surrealism which takes the individual out of it and gives more of an overall experience.

I saw the hopscotch sequences to somewhat relate to what the woman was going through, in that she is pretty much doing the same thing over and over (dragging the scuba guy all over the place) and not really getting anywhere.

No comments:

Post a Comment