Sunday, January 17, 2010

Inauguration of the Pleasure Dome

The thing I noticed most when we watched Inauguration of the Pleasure Dome in class was that this was the first film we have watched in color. That being said, it totally took advantage of the color medium. The brightness and vividness of the film helps to elicit emotion. Everything seems so much more alive, bizarre, and ritualistic, something that I do not believe would have come across as clearly or as powerfully in a black and white film.

I also found it interesting that there was no verbal communication between anyone in the film. They all seem to be preparing for this ritualistic act together, and they interact with each other, but not verbally. Everything is done visually. I can see this as a tribute or loyalty to the film medium, letting the camera and all that it is capable of doing do the talking for them.


Also, this was the longest of all of the films that we watched. At first I was a little annoyed at the running time, but as I took it in and relaxed I was able to better appreciate things, and just let the images wash over me. Many images were repeated which gave me a second, third, and fourth look at things and better try to get something out of it. I’m not quite sure I got “the point” even with that, but maybe I’m not supposed to. I feel more research and viewings would be necessary.

No comments:

Post a Comment