Sunday, March 7, 2010

Fuses Response

In this film I can certainly see the Brakhage influence with all of the painting on film, scratching, and manipulation of speed and color. Yet, at the same time, she makes it her own. I may be mistaken, but the way she paints over the sequences of her and her husband stand out and unique to her. Brakhage filmed people and distorted them, and he painted on film, but I don't recall a time where Brakhage took black and white footage and then painted over on that. I think most of his painting was on clear leader. (Disclaimer: I have not seen enough of Brakhage's work to be super certain on this, I'm just going off of the things I have seen both in this class and others.)

There are also times when the color stays consistent between the highlights, lowlights, and midtones, so I wonder if this is some sort of tinting instead of painting.

Overall, it seems a bit of a slap in the face to Brakhage, as this was a response to his film, Loving. She blatantly uses his techniques, but just does them "better". I wonder what Brakhage thought of the film?

No comments:

Post a Comment